January 22, 2015 in Uncategorized
December 18, 2014 in Uncategorized
A New Year
The feasting is over; you’ve had quite your fill.
The gifts have been given; you’ve paid all the bills.
A New Year beckons with goals and opportunities.
But will you make time to serve your communities?
Don’t wait for the perfect volunteer opportunity to find you in 2015, go find it!
If you are looking for ways to get more involved in community service with non profit organizations, schools, or civic groups in 2015, Leadership Harrisburg Area can help connect you with the perfect opportunity to serve!
Volunteers are needed as mentors for students and young adults; as board members for non profit organizations; and on all manner of planning committees. In fact, many community groups are open to creating the perfect opportunity for you to share your talents and skills as you see fit! If you are a runner, why not create a neighborhood race to benefit an important community cause? If you are hosting a professional conference or luncheon, why not ask attendees to bring an item to benefit a local charity? From taking pictures at non profit events to creating stage sets, or volunteering professional services, there is a place for you somewhere in Cumberland, Dauphin or Perry County.
Need help finding the perfect opportunity, just send us a note and we’ll try to help! firstname.lastname@example.org
Leadership Harrisburg Area also facilitates regular service events; we host an annual non profit conference designed to forge these important connections; and we post volunteer opportunities on our website. Stay in touch with us for more information ~ and, “like” our page on Facebook for regular posts. www.facebook.com/leadershipharrisburgarea
November 24, 2014 in Uncategorized
Please help Leadership Harrisburg Area support the emergency shelter for men at the Susquehanna Harbor Safe Haven. We are collecting items for distribution to the homeless men who use the shelter on cold winter nights. Items can be delivered to Leadership Harrisburg Area at 3211 N. Front Street during “regular” business hours through Friday, December 5.
- Travel sized toothbrush and toothpaste
- Travel sized deodorant
- Individual tissue packs
- Tube Socks
- Individually packaged hot chocolate
- Individually wrapped granola or protein bars
THANK YOU, in advance, for your generosity!
October 8, 2014 in Uncategorized
Leadership Harrisburg Area is seeking a volunteer project for November/December 2014. Projects can be anything from assistance with holiday activities to producing a holiday meal for residents or clients of a non profit organization. Non profit organizations will find the Alumni on Assignment application on LHA’s website at www.leadershipharrisburg.org under the Community Connections tab.
The Rotary Club of Harrisburg is accepting grant applications for projects that serve children and their families in the City of Harrisburg. Applications are due by December 15, 2014 and funding up to $5,000 is available. For more information visit www.hbgrotary.org and scroll down.
September 30, 2014 in Uncategorized
The Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet is seeking volunteers to help during the event An Evening at the Barre on Saturday, October 18. Volunteer shifts are from 4:30 and 9:30 PM and dinner is included. If you would like to help support this fun event, please contact Brigette Plummer at email@example.com
The Harrisburg Public Schools Foundation is sponsoring the 2nd year of ADOPT A HARRISBURG CLASSROOM. Businesses and individuals who are interested in learning more should contact Karen Snider at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 717-230-8566. There are 185 classrooms available at the rate of $500 each.
Junior Achievement is looking for volunteers for a STEM Summit at Central Dauphin East High School on November 12 and 13. Volunteer shifts are from 7:30 AM to 2:30 PM and volunteers would assist with judging competitions, relays & experiments. No prep work is required. JA is also seeking panelists in STEM careers. If you would like to help or need more information, contact Lori Hoffnagle at email@example.com or visit www.jascpa.org
The Slate Hill Mennonite Church is collecting cotton t-shirts to make scarves for the Mennonite World Conference coming to Harrisburg in July 2015. Please bring your gently used, laundered, 100% cotton t-shirts to Leadership Harrisburg Area, 3211 N. Front Street before November 15. For more information or details, contact Deborah Saline at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in volunteering with a community project or non profit organization, please email your interest to email@example.com and we’ll help make a match for you!
July 16, 2014 in Uncategorized
Dear LHA Alumni & Friends ~ as we plan our 2014/15 program year, we ask you to hold the following dates so that you can join with LHA for exciting educational and networking opportunities. Stay tuned for more detail and registration information as we approach September.
Speakers Series (Radisson Camp Hill)
Friday, October 17, 11:30 AM Luncheon
Friday, February 13, 2015 @ 11:30 AM Luncheon
Friday, March 20, 2015 @ 7:30 AM Breakfast
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 @ 11:30 AM Luncheon
18th Annual Non Profit Conference (Harrisburg Holiday Inn East
Wednesday, April 1, 2015 @ 12:00-5:00
LHA Class of 2015 Graduation (Radisson Camp Hill)
Friday, May 15, 2015 @ 11:30 AM Luncheon
June 2, 2014 in Uncategorized
If your non profit organization or community group is facing a challenge that current staffing and volunteer structures cannot address, consider enlisting the help of Leadership Harrisburg Area!
Team Projects are meant to address a critical, organizational need; make long-term impacts; and provide a tangible deliverable.
Team Projects provide organizations with 5-7 professionals from September to May to work toward an agreed upon goal.
For a full description of the process; access to the application; and a summary of past Team Projects, click on the Community Connections tab.
Inquiries ~ call 717-213-5035.
March 31, 2014 in Community Events
April 4 ~ Visions of Monte Carlo, 5:30 PM at the Sheraton Harrisburg/Hershey Hotel. For further inquiries or to place your ticket reservations, please call 717-238-2531.
April 11 ~ Literacy Night: Read with the Herd, 7:00 PM at the Giant Center with the Harrisburg Stampede. Raising awareness for the American Literacy Corporation.
April 12 ~ Light the Way to Learning, 6:00 PM, Sheraton Harrisburg/Hershey Hotel. 100th Birthday Celebration for the Dauphin County Library System. To purchase tickets and for more information, visit www.dcls.org or call 717-234-4967 x110.
April 16 ~ Film Forward Viewing & Discussion, 6:00 PM, William H. & Marion C. Alexander Family Library in Hummelstown. Register to attend by calling: 234-4967 x105. Sponsored by the Dauphin County Library System.
April 26 ~ Race Against Racism 7:30 AM to 12:00 noon on City Island. To register, please visit: http://www.ywcahbg.org//events/race-against-racism-2014#.Uzm_gWd3uM8
May 1 ~ An Evening of Art and Jazz, WITF Public Media Center. To purchase tickets or for more information, please visit: http://www.barakarts.org/art–jazz.html
May 3 ~ Our Community, Our Leaders: Tribute and Scholarship Fundraising Dinner, 6:00-10:00 PM at the Radisson Camp Hill. Purchase tickets by emailing Karla Gurian at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsored by Estamos Unidos de PA.
December 18, 2013 in Uncategorized
The Oath for Compassionate Service is an excerpt from the book Toxic Charity by Robert D. Lupton.
- Never do for the poor what they have (or could have) the capacity to do for themselves.
- Limit one-way giving to emergency situations.
- Strive to empower the poor through employment, lending, and investing, using grants sparingly to reinforce achievements.
- Subordinate self-interests to the needs of those being served.
- Listen closely to those you seek to help, especially to what is not being said – unspoken feelings may contain essential clues to effective service.
- Above all, do no harm.
November 24, 2013 in Volunteer Opportunities
Work teams, youth groups, families ~ please take a look at these community needs and consider volunteering TOGETHER during the winter months.
DAUPHIN COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
Children of all ages can make Christmas special by coming to the Elizabethville Area Library on Tuesday, December 10 at 6:00 pm or on Saturday, December 14 at 12:30 pm. Attendees will hear holiday stories, make crafts, receive a free book and enjoy Christmas cookies. A special visitor will help welcome the holiday season.
This free program is sponsored by The Friends of The Elizabethville Library. Registration is required. To register visit the online events calendar at dcls.org or call the library at 36
ESTAMOS UNIDOS de PA
On Sunday, December 15, 2013, at the John Harris High School, Estamos Unidos will once again have “La Fiesta Del Niño – Children’s Christmas Party 2013”. The John Harris High School is located at 2451 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17103. The Christmas event will be from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
We will love to have you to come and volunteer with us. We need around 120 volunteers for our two activities:
1) December 14, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Please come between 9: 00 am and 3:00pm. (We will start the stage setting, wrapping session, decoration and any other thing that is usually needed at 9:00am until we finish.
- Please park on Hale St. (which borders John Harris High School), and enter the building through the docking area. As always leave valuables at home and remember to lock your car.
2) December 15, 2013 Children Christmas Party from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (All volunteers are needed at 12:00 p.m.)
On 12-15-13, EUP is expecting to have 900 or more children and to serve dinner to 1,500 or more, so be patient and flexible and above all be filled with the spirit of Christmas.Please register by emailing or calling Marisol Aviles or Hector Ortiz at Please plan to come at noon. A mandatory orientation for all volunteers followed by a confirmed task assignment will take place at 12:45 pm. Anything has to be set by 1:30pm. The program runs from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
To volunteer, or for more information, please contact Marisol Aviles de Ortiz, Estamos Unidos, Christmas Party 2013 Chair, 717-991-5372.
HARRISBURG PUBLIC SCHOOLS FOUNDATION
Businesses, families, or individuals ~ please consider this opportunity to Adopt A Harrisburg Classroom. Here is the simple way that it works:
- The adopting entity makes a $500 tax deductible contribution to the Harrisburg Public Schools Foundation.
- A form will be provided, the adopter has a choice of school and grade. If the adopter has no preference, a classroom and school will be assigned.
- The adopter and the classroom teacher get connected and decide collaboratively how the $500 will be spent.
- The classroom teacher then knows how to establish a purchase order(s) which is then reimbursed to the district by the Foundation.
- IF the adopter wants to volunteer in the classroom, that can be arranged with the classroom teacher. Big Brothers/Big Sisters has agreed to do and pay for whatever background checks may be required. This will be minimal – if at all. This is an optional component of the program.
- A professionally printed sign will be placed outside of every adopted classroom: This Classroom has been adopted by __________.
YWCA of GREATER HARRISBURG
Open Door Winter Overnight Shelter needs female volunteers to sleep overnight and help as follows:
- Make snack packs for overnight guests
- Make bed pack with hygiene kits for the overnight guests
- Assist in laundering bedding from the night before
- Greet the overnight guests at 9 PM and do guest intake, distribute cots, bedding, snack
- Make simple referrals ( HELP office, CMU, Crisis for example) and create log notes or questions about more complicated needs for staff to respond to in the morning
- Respond to the CCS worker in regard to concerns with the overnight shelter during the night as necessary (on call)
- Inform the SH worker of any emergency situations as they arise
- Awaken the guests at 6:00 AM to prepare them to leave the building by 7:00 AM
- Coordinate the clearing and neatening of the training room in the morning
To volunteer or for more information, please contact Julia Hoskins 234-7931 or email Jhoskins@ywcahbg.org