Work teams, youth groups, families ~ please take a look at these community needs and consider volunteering TOGETHER during the winter months.
DAUPHIN COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
Children of all ages can make Christmas special by coming to the Elizabethville Area Library on Tuesday, December 10 at 6:00 pm or on Saturday, December 14 at 12:30 pm. Attendees will hear holiday stories, make crafts, receive a free book and enjoy Christmas cookies. A special visitor will help welcome the holiday season.
This free program is sponsored by The Friends of The Elizabethville Library. Registration is required. To register visit the online events calendar at dcls.org or call the library at 36
ESTAMOS UNIDOS de PA
On Sunday, December 15, 2013, at the John Harris High School, Estamos Unidos will once again have “La Fiesta Del Niño – Children’s Christmas Party 2013”. The John Harris High School is located at 2451 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17103. The Christmas event will be from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
We will love to have you to come and volunteer with us. We need around 120 volunteers for our two activities:
1) December 14, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Please come between 9: 00 am and 3:00pm. (We will start the stage setting, wrapping session, decoration and any other thing that is usually needed at 9:00am until we finish.
- Please park on Hale St. (which borders John Harris High School), and enter the building through the docking area. As always leave valuables at home and remember to lock your car.
2) December 15, 2013 Children Christmas Party from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (All volunteers are needed at 12:00 p.m.)
On 12-15-13, EUP is expecting to have 900 or more children and to serve dinner to 1,500 or more, so be patient and flexible and above all be filled with the spirit of Christmas.Please register by emailing or calling Marisol Aviles or Hector Ortiz at Please plan to come at noon. A mandatory orientation for all volunteers followed by a confirmed task assignment will take place at 12:45 pm. Anything has to be set by 1:30pm. The program runs from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
To volunteer, or for more information, please contact Marisol Aviles de Ortiz, Estamos Unidos, Christmas Party 2013 Chair, 717-991-5372.
HARRISBURG PUBLIC SCHOOLS FOUNDATION
Businesses, families, or individuals ~ please consider this opportunity to Adopt A Harrisburg Classroom. Here is the simple way that it works:
- The adopting entity makes a $500 tax deductible contribution to the Harrisburg Public Schools Foundation.
- A form will be provided, the adopter has a choice of school and grade. If the adopter has no preference, a classroom and school will be assigned.
- The adopter and the classroom teacher get connected and decide collaboratively how the $500 will be spent.
- The classroom teacher then knows how to establish a purchase order(s) which is then reimbursed to the district by the Foundation.
- IF the adopter wants to volunteer in the classroom, that can be arranged with the classroom teacher. Big Brothers/Big Sisters has agreed to do and pay for whatever background checks may be required. This will be minimal – if at all. This is an optional component of the program.
- A professionally printed sign will be placed outside of every adopted classroom: This Classroom has been adopted by __________.
Please call Karen Snider at 230-8566 with any questions or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Also visit the website: www.harrisburgschoolsfoundation.org.
YWCA of GREATER HARRISBURG
Open Door Winter Overnight Shelter needs female volunteers to sleep overnight and help as follows:
- Make snack packs for overnight guests
- Make bed pack with hygiene kits for the overnight guests
- Assist in laundering bedding from the night before
- Greet the overnight guests at 9 PM and do guest intake, distribute cots, bedding, snack
- Make simple referrals ( HELP office, CMU, Crisis for example) and create log notes or questions about more complicated needs for staff to respond to in the morning
- Respond to the CCS worker in regard to concerns with the overnight shelter during the night as necessary (on call)
- Inform the SH worker of any emergency situations as they arise
- Awaken the guests at 6:00 AM to prepare them to leave the building by 7:00 AM
- Coordinate the clearing and neatening of the training room in the morning
To volunteer or for more information, please contact Julia Hoskins 234-7931 or email Jhoskins@ywcahbg.org